View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #3
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee_c View Post
What's the life of a 986s clutch?

My car is an '01S has 120-130,000km on it (crazy, it's been so long I don't remember), I bought it in Chicago in May 2009 when it had 65,000km. Fair weather car, only 1 track day on it.

I'm getting psyched up to do some 15 year maintenance on it. IMS,( possibly clutch), motor and tranny mounts, water pump/coolant change, idler pulley, front lower rear Control arm etc.

In my 7 yrs of ownership, it's been fairly cheap to maintain so far as I've DIY all repairs -- new AC dispplay from ebay, MAF, a PedroMount my 1st year of ownership, oil changes, CV boots/ repacked bearings with grease, spark plugs, and tubes, AOS x1, 1 batttery is all I can think of. Only mod is a new modern HU for the stereo. new dash speakers are sitting in the cupboard waiting to be installed.

I found some good online prices for LUK & SACHS Clutch kits, as well as a LUK DMF. Not sure if I need one....

My previous cars were:

1995 Integra - bought new, owned it for 7 yrs and 280,000km. I had some tranny work on it for bad synchros, but don't think that the clutch was replaced.

2001 Jetta 1.8T chipped - loads of torque, bought new and sold with over 280,000km on it. Original Clutch. We trailered with this vehicle 1-2x/yr - motorcycle, jetski etc.

2003 Honda CRV - bought with 32,000km on it, kept it 10yrs until it was totalled in a crash. had over 250,000km on it, original clutch. Did some light trailering with this vehicle, and was loaded to the gills pretty much most weekends for trips to the family cottage.

2006 Jetta TDI - bought it in 2014 with 140,000km on the clock. now has 215,000km. AFAIK, original clutch, chipped. My commuter car love the fuel economy, and the torque.

Really, should I be expecting significantly shorter life with my Boxster clutch? Rock Auto seems to have the best prices to Canada.... not sure if there is duty on car parts. plus an extra week of downtime likely if I order after I inspect my current clutch.

Peter
Clutch life has much more to do with the driver and how the car is used. We have customers with identical cars, one is at 75K and on his third clutch; the other is at 140K and still on the factory unit.