View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #4
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLEG View Post
I just bought this engine and am planning to put in my 01 S after I deal with the IMSB issue. I read through the archives on DOF, ceramics and opening the shaft for oil flow. Although the new IMS Solution is most attractive, it is off my list due to cost and no DIY. It seems the "Eternal Fix" where oil flows through the shaft to a roller bearing might be the best choice for me. It seems even the thrust concerns are addressed. Before I write a check and get out my wrenches, I would appreciate the input from others on this forum.
First of all, the LN IMS Solution is a DIY system if you so choose, and is by far the best choice. Your only real draw back is that LN is behind in keeping up supply for these units due to high demand, but you can definitely do it yourself. As for the "infernal fix" roller bearing, I really would not go there for several reasons A lot of the claims for this thing are unsubstantiated due to a very small installed base and no reported data. Secondly, punching a hole in one end of the IMS shaft with a sharpened tool is nearly Neanderthal. You have no control over the actual final size of the hole as you are smacking a punch with a hammer rather than drilling a controlled sized opening. Regardless of how you put the hole in the far end of the shaft, the shaft is now going to be at least partially filled with oil, which at speed can cause an out of balance condition as well as stealing part of the systems total oil capacity unnecessarily at the worst possible time. To me, this thing is an unproven answer in search of a question.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 04-10-2016 at 08:33 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote