View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #17
HELLAS59

Hi PorscheFan5 and everyone else. Its been a long time coming but I finally got around to fixing my door lock cylinder. I ordered the VW Kit that you mentioned PorscheFan5 and sure enough once I took apart the lock it was the circular round piece with the "ears" that had broken. It definitely works, but it seems like the whole mechanism is a little stiff when I turn the key and it gets a little jammed. Do you guys think that the fitment might be a tad too tight and thats whats causing the problem? I remember someone mentioning about filing the VW piece down just a little, even though it looks ifentical! Im thinking of reopening it before I install it back in the door so that I can put some grease in there. Any recommendations if that will help and whats the best kind of grease for the lock cylinder? Also, the clamp spring on top gave me some trouble, but I believe I installed it correctly after spending over an hour trying to figure it out, it doesnt seem to work too well and the two ends of the clamp spring get caught on the side metal when I turn the ket sometimes. I looked at the spring more closely and it seems that it has warped. Is there any place for me to buy that spring? Im talking about the one that gives tension/resistence when you turn the key, not the one that pushes up and down deeper inside.

So does anyone know where I can buy that exact spring that tensions the key?

Does anyone have a picture of how they reinstalled that tension spring so I can make sure I did it correctly?

And does anyone know what the best grease is for the cylinder housing/assembly to make the key turn easier and not get stuck/jammed?

I appreciate all the help. I still have the lock cylinder out of the car and the handle hanging. Had to put a tarp over the car because its raining over here, so Im trying to get the part as soon as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys! Waiting for your replies!!!
HELLAS59 is offline   Reply With Quote