View Single Post
Old 03-30-2016, 04:47 AM   #14
RoughDobermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
From the pics, it's obvious that a previous driver drove over something that broke up some under parts. Ours is the same and there is LOTS of plastic under there to get damaged if you run over something.

In your list above, A few things bother me, but might not keep me from buying if a good deal could be struck...

1,2,4,10 &18. 1&18 can be big $$ if you are not fully informed as to costs. The alignment issue can be an indicator of deeper issues combined with 8&9 if there was a decent hit on the left front corner. This could tie in with the damaged under-tray parts...

All of this internet diagnosis, is being done from my office in MD :-) I'm not trying to scare you away just give you info and some leverage if you wish to negotiate. I will give you my usual spiel here: There is nothing more expensive than a cheep Porsche. You could negotiate down to $9K and feel good but have to spend $4K in IMS/RMS, clutch and other bits in the first 6 months. So, maybe look for a $13K Box with a solid service history and not so many unknowns.... For me, if I could confirm that there is no chassis damage (bad tire wear) then I might be inclined to beat the selling dealer like a rented Mule and if can't get to my "safe" price, then walk away. I can do 99% of my service so that changes my calculus when buying. If you are looking at paying for service, then I would recommend you move on, add $3K to your budget for a MY2002, car find a private seller with a good service history. Beat him like a rented Mule and have a car you can have confidence in and we won't completely pick apart.
Thanks for the advice. I would definitely get the IMS bearing and RMS seal replaced, at the minimum.
RoughDobermann is offline   Reply With Quote