View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #31
tada
1998 Boxster Owner

Garage
Well, ran the smoke test with no luck. I performed it pretty much like the Pelican write up. I removed the MAF, cleaned it, set it aside. I sealed off the snorkel and air box cover. Then I pumped smoke in. I have a video, but it's pretty bad. Anyway, went in through the MAF opening (sealed off) and smoke was being generated. But I saw no leaks at the throttle body, the brake booster, the tiny fittings, the canister, nowhere. I then held the throttle body open, hoping smoke would pass farther. Still no leaks. And I opened the oil filler cap. No smoke would ever reach it. But putting smoke in through the intake wouldn't really generate smoke from the filler tube or crankcase unless the PCV valve was bad, would it? So I put the smoke directly into the oil filler tube and sealed the top. No leaks in either of the three sections, the crankcase, or where the middle tube attaches. So I can find no vacuum leaks at this point that is causing the crappy idle and stalling. But it was a fun test to try. Any ideas? Did I do it wrong?

So to summarize, a non runner bought from a PO who bought it from a dealer in July. Stored in a garage over winter, would not start. He changed the plugs and what looks to be the ignition switch. I jump started it when I inspected it and it runs as seen in my video. I replaced the battery, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel sending unit, and plugs. Changed the oil. It was brown not black, no metal found in oil or filter even using magnet. Coil packs ohm out ok. Injectors ohm out as well. Now, no vacuum leaks. I'm now wondering about the DME. Or maybe carbon build up in the throttle body.

Last edited by tada; 03-24-2016 at 08:39 PM.
tada is offline   Reply With Quote