View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
dghii

Excellent question.

I shopped around seriously in 2007-08 looking for a decent Boxster S at a decent price point. I ended up buying my car (2000S) with 76K miles on it in July of 2008. Although not really high mileage for the year, it certainly wasn't a garage queen. I remember having similar thoughts as yours....I didn't think buying a low mileage car was reducing my risk of catastrophic failure at all.

I bought a local car that had been listed on ebay as a no reserve car. Although I didn't do any sort of PPI, I had the opportunity to view and drive the car prior to placing a bid. I ended up winning the auction for $15,400 and as luck would have t, ebay had a $500 off deal for buying a car through ebay Motors.

I know have just under 130k miles with no real issues at all. Although I feel I understand the risk, I have not replaced the clutch, IMS or RMS. The most expensive repair to date has been the coolant expansion tank (part only).

My car does not look like a brand new car but does look better than most 16 year old cars on the road. It is an absolute blast and I'd trust it to drive anywhere in the country tomorrow!

When I look at these cars now, mileage really doesn't make a huge difference to me.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote