View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 02:07 PM   #4
The Radium King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Reading through recent threads made me wonder...
I really don't often hear of Boxsters with 150,000+ miles having catastrophic engine failures. It's the '00 - '04 with low miles that seem to post about it most often. Maybe because it's expected in a higher mile engine.
With the advice I've seen about buying the newest, lowest mile 986 (still 12+ year old) I wonder if one with 150,000 miles that has seen good care and replacement of wear items is actually a better car than a garage queen with 50,000 and all original parts.
From what I see, these engines do best when driven and driving adds up the miles.
Does anyone want to post actual experience one way or the other?
dunno about experience, but i was thinking the same thing recently. it used to be that the internet wisdom was that, if the ims was going to fail, it would happen early in the engine life and if it made it to 100k miles then you were out of harms way.

recently, however, i've seen a few people ask about high mileage cars and the same purveyors of internet wisdom are saying that at 150k miles the engine is done; throw it out and get a new one.

so it seems we can't win in this here internet. either that or for some reason we love driving the resale value of our cars down.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote