View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 03:28 AM   #17
B6T

The threads I reviewed stating that the engine had to be pulled were for the 996 and not the 986.

I was able to drop the back of the engine down a few inches and then was able to remove the passenger side valve cover. I removed the exhaust cam drive sprocket, then removed the two intake cam upper bearings and pulled the cam out just enough so I can re-index the IC sprocket onto the correct tooth. I reinstalled the exhaust cam sprocket, also re-indexed to the correct tooth, then tightened up the tensioner, advanced the engine to TDC, and then set the exhaust cam timing.

I didn't touch the intake cam timing because I wasn't sure if it was a TTY bolt (I think it is) and I wasn't sure if that cam has the ability to bring itself back into time based on how that adjuster works, i.e. what is the resting position of the adjuster, and how many degrees movement does it have. I consulted with my brother who is a factory trained BMW tech and he said that most vane-cell adjusters are the same in terms of operation, and that if he were me he would wait and see what code the engine throws, if any. So if I see a deviation code for the intake cam, I won't be surprised.

I did a compression check and all cylinders are even, and the engine fired right up.

Now I have to get the two broken exhaust bolts out of the head and then I can get the car 100% re-assembled.

Thanks for all the help guys.
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote