View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #7
tada
1998 Boxster Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyed7711 View Post
My car has the later, non-return fuel delivery system, but I had similar issues and questions testing the system.

I had adequate pressure, like you, non-running/running, with rapid bleeding off when shut off.

If you do a flow/volume test on the pump output and it checks out, it'll go toward your pump being probably fine. I think on the cars with the return system you could probably pull the line on the pump side of the regulator and check the volume from there. Jump the relay, run for 30 seconds, supposed to produce 850 ml minimum. Mine was putting out over 1 liter, so I ruled the fuel pump out.

At the time I could hear the sort of fluttering click from the area of the #2 cylinder that might be a leaky injector, but didn't know for sure or how bad. I later ran a bottle of injector cleaner through a full tank, and it stopped the sound.

I suspected an issue with the pressure regulator, which on my car is routed in to the fuel level sender assembly. I cracked the old plastic housing on the level sender when I pulled off the fuel line, so I had to buy a new one anyway. It fixed my running problem (which was car running fine, then dying suddenly, then starting after awhile and so on.)
Not your same bad running symptoms, but you're fuel supply test results were similar, so maybe it's your regulator.
Thanks for answering. That's a good idea. The supply line to the regulator looks kind of rigid. But it makes sense. I think the sound I'm hearing in the regulator when the system is under pressure just may be an injector leak into the manifold. Not o-rings. I'll get it back up in the air tomorrow and start pulling the spark plugs to check for fuel on them. If it is injectors, I guess a rebuilt/cleaning service.

Last edited by tada; 03-12-2016 at 04:36 PM.
tada is offline   Reply With Quote