View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #6
BYprodriver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I'm very close to installing a 2001 3.4 into my 2000 Boxster S and I think I mostly comprehend what I need to do. I have the "101 project for your Porsche Boxster" book and I've also been surfing the internet on other engine swaps. I've got a few questions for those who might know.
1) What flywheel/clutch do I use? The 3.4 had a really good clutch on it and I'm hoping to reuse it.
2) I have the cluster, immobilizer and DME from the 996 cab. Besides running another wire to the cluster for the oil pressure gauge, it's just plug and play right?(using the 3.2 engine harness). There shouldn't be any reason for getting the 996 DME reprogrammed. The 3.4 DME will still think it's in a 996 cab?
3)I have a 987 aluminum engine cover. I won't need to lower the motor any to clear the 996 intake?
4)Is there a verdict on which fuel rail is better/easier? 3.2 or 3.4?

Thanks Woody
You should be able to use either Flywheel because both engines use the same crank, you have to use the Box 6-speed so you need a Box clutch if it's different from the 3.4.
Clusters changed in 2001 so I don't know what you have to do there, I would not change that until the engine is running.
Keep your OE DME it is the same as the 2001 just programed with 996 map. Engine will run fine unless you install the 987 airbox & bigger MAF tube of the 987. If you keep the bigger MAF you need to install the 996 DME program.