View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 03:47 AM   #9
B6T

As I mentioned, I followed the Pelican Parts tutorial which specifically says to rotate the trank until you can see the IMS gear behind the M8 bolt holes for the bearing flange. This is required to provide support for the threaded pins you need to install to maintain the position of the IMS during bearing exchange.

I now realize what a total piece of poop that tutorial is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsjmc View Post
You will need a special tool kit to hold the cams with the valve cover removed The top of the cover supports the cams, without it in place the cams will move. I would look online for the shop manual for a 987 or late 986 (to find 3 chain instructions ),( and read them ) before blindly removing a cover. (I have seen the instructions somewhere )
From what I can tell the 3-chain engine has a secondary bearing cap on each camshaft under the valve cover that prevents the cams from popping out when you remove the valve cover.

In the procedure for removing the valve covers, the Porsche service literature doesn't mention a cam hold-down tool for the 2003+ engine, like it does for the earlier 5-chain engines.
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote