View Single Post
Old 03-11-2016, 05:13 AM   #12
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
Thanks JFP.
Was wondering if you have the detailed procedure.
I have done it twice with the tool, but I'm still not sure about the blue plastic ring.
Does it stay on the seal and mounted on the crack with the tool?
That's the way I did it and wondering if it's the correct way.
The tool is designed with the blue plastic ring in mind. You slide the new PTFE onto part #5 above with the ring still in place before attaching the tool to the crank; after the installation, you will find the blue ring still on part #5 when you remove it from the back of the crank.

The blue (or sometimes green) ring is there specifically to protect the inside of the PTFE seal from picking up any contamination like lint or fingerprints during the installation process, which is critical to the seal successfully working. We have installed literally hundreds of the PTFE seals and have never had an issue, but that said, we have also had to reinstall several that were originally done DIY by the car's owners which subsequently leaked. Most of the time, the problem was associated with the seal either not being in straight or installed at the correct depth, but we have also seen several the were leaking badly because someone decided to use sealant around the outside circumference, or installed them dirty. These seals work extremely well when installed correctly, but are not at all tolerant to any form of contamination or poor installation techniques.

[IMG]http://www.****************************************************.com/mm5/graphics/00000002/rmsbig.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by JFP in PA; 03-11-2016 at 09:09 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote