View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #14
jakeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordons986 View Post
jakeru thank you very much for your reply. Yes its this front trailing arm that ive been suspecting as the culprit so i will probably end up replacing this first or maybe trying the repair that you posted (thank you again)

I will try dragging the brakes in the morning but i can tell you that the noise does happen if under acceleration over bumps and turning while accelerating also seems to still make the noise but i will try braking in the morning.
In the front, acceleration wouldn't be expected to quiet the trailing arm spherical bearing noise, since the boxster is RWD not FWD. Only the rear suspension components could respond in a meaningful way to engine brake or engine acceleration (or the application of e-brakes, for that matter, since they are only hooked up to the rears.)

Quote:
One thing I'm concerned about is if it could be the trailing arm bushing that sits in the wishbone and not the ball joint on the trailing arm. or are these not so prone to wear/noise?
You can easily inspect that joint after you have the trailing arm disconnected. It's rubber. Look for any cracks or tears. If not cracked or torn, not sure you'll see any benefit from replacing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
My guess is that since you are getting some shaking of the steering wheel when you hit the bump, it's the tie rods or the ball joint on the control arm itself. The trailing arm will make the noise, but shouldn't cause the shaking that you described.
I may be wrong, but I wouldn't rule out the track arm joints potentially causing a steering issue. If the fore-aft movement is significant enough, it would affect caster, which would affect steering. I guess it's more of a hunch of mine because I also have a similar steering inconsistency, which seems caused by accel/braking. I recently rebuilt lots of suspension parts and refurbished all of the balljoints and tie rod ends (all of which seemed reasonably tight), but I'm pretty sure I have a noisy rear track arm spherical bearing, and suspect this also may be responsible for the slight brake/torque effect on steering that I'm still noticing even after changing out all the shocks and closely inspecting pretty much everything. (I just won't be 100% certain I've properly diagnosed my own problem here, until I repair the loose track arm joint and verify whether it actually solves the small steering inconsistency.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordons986 View Post
Edit: Ok so today it is very wet and rainy here in Vancouver Canada and i took the car down to the local auto parts to buy oil etc (needs a change) I drove the whole way with radio off and listening to the noise except the noise happened for the first couple blocks but then got quieter and quieter.

I was also trying dragging the brakes over bumps that would make the noise and no sound. by the time i got home i pulled in and out of my driveway a few times trying to make the noise but it wouldn't.
I think you have some good info which suggests track arm joint as the likely culprit.

Quote:
So im wondering if water is getting into something to stop it from making such a bad noise acting as a sort of lubricant?
Either that or possibly helps keep the joint cooler, and the hot vs cold affects the joint looseness due to material expansion/contraction.

Last edited by jakeru; 03-10-2016 at 07:16 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote