View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spendy View Post
I was picturing that the gap he has is between the case and the outside of the RMS. The outside of the RMS looks to be a steel ring coated with rubber. I don't see how a bit of sealant in one spot would cause any leakage. Then again, if it is a small enough scratch the rubber on the outside of the rms might fill it.

What I have heard is that the PTFE RMS surface that touches the crank should be installed dry, but that's not the part of the RMS I am referring to.
The PTFE seals are known to leak easily, even around their circumference, with as little as a finger print on them. Unless the case bore is clean, dry, and free of sealant or other contaminant, they will leak; that is their one major downside, the installation has to be correct, no contamination of any kind. There is a reason the PTFE seals come with a blue plastic ring that protects their inner circumference.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 03-11-2016 at 09:05 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote