View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #16
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyakubuke View Post
I thought about going with an iPad, but I am lazy and wanted a way to automate locking and unlocking the tablet, launching certain apps etc... when I start the car.

I also have a Cobra radar detector that connects BT to my tablet. it starts with ignition on. so I have built a tasker profile that, when the detector connects, it unlocks the screen, sets it to "car mode" (screen doesn't sleep) and launches the iRadar app, start music playing etc.. when it loses the BT connection, it closes all apps and puts the tablet to sleep.

also, I already had the LG Tablet (cost me $1)
Nice job. The Android tablet is a good choice for this mod instead of the iPad as you get GPS without the required monthly data plan on an iPad equipped with GPS. No GPS would really limit the functionality of a smart head unit. Also, depending on your smartphone carrier, you can use FoxFi app from your Android smartphone to share your data from the phone to the tablet without having to pay an additional monthly fee for tethering. Although I wouldn't go crazy streaming NetFlix, that would throw up a red flag that you were tethering under the radar and would be throttled AOL speeds. Unless you have a grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan, they have to throttle everyone on the network or no one, they can't cherry pick based on how much or how little they make off your contract.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote