Thread: 245/275
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 05:02 AM   #17
LAP1DOUG

I normally run 255 Front / 285 Rear, and that size combination works well on track and on an autocross course. This is about the widest fitment that I can make work, and it works very well if sway bars are adjusted accordingly.

There are a few 285 /30 - 18 tire sizes available, but not many at all. A higher up at Bridgestone told me that they will finally be importing their RE-71R in this size within the next few months.

The NT-01 in 245 Front / 275 Rear also works well on my car with the same sway bar settings as my 255 Front / 285 Rear set-up. Obviously if you maintain the same front to rear stagger (in this case 30 mm), you can generally maintain the same balance set-up. As others have mentioned, you have to give up some acceleration with the NT-01 due to the OD of the tire, but that isn't too bad.

The larger OD occasionally helps by allowing you to carry a gear a bit longer. For example at the dip going into Turn 5 at Road Atlanta, I am just touching redline when running NT-01's with a tire diameter of about 25.6" , but I'm starting to bounce off the rev limiter with a 285 / 30 - 18 tire at 25" diameter.

The tire diameter is probably more important in autocross than road racing, as some slow corners can really catch you off the cam.

Have fun.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote