View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
TuftsAuto

Hey all, since I last posted, my headlights have been working without issue, but a few weeks ago, I found that the passenger's side headlight was not turning on. I pulled it out, checked the bulbs, and found that the low beam bulb had burnt out. Replaced that. The high beam bulb (clear/blue color) however is not working properly as it does on the driver's side.

I checked the bulb and it is okay. I checked the ballast connection and it is okay.

In testing it out, I noticed that when I turn the headlights on, the light in question flickers briefly but doesn't stay on. I repeated this test and it kept happening, suggesting to me that the bulb isn't burnt out, but rather that there is a connection there that is loose or dirty.

At this point, I have two questions for you:
1) As I work to figure out how to fix this, is it bad for the car to drive it with the headlights on? The reason that I ask is that I don't want to risk burning out a good bulb on the driver's side if too much current goes through that bulb on account of a bad connection on the passenger's side.
2) Any recommendations for how to clean or otherwise fasten these connections more securely? I found that the plastic connector that you need to disconnect/reconnect when you're pulling the headlight assembly out of the car has broken, so I'm wondering if that is why the connection isn't sufficient. That being said, shouldn't the headlight be locked into place by the quarter-turn of the screw accessed in the front trunk?

Thanks for your help!
TuftsAuto is offline   Reply With Quote