Thread: 245/275
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
j.fro
Rennzenn

Garage
I ran 245/40/18 NT01 tires on the front & 275/35/18 NT01 on the rear with 18x8 18x10 Carrera Lightweight reproductions for a few years. On the front I used 7mm spacers, 14 on the rear. This combo was lighter than my stock 18" turbo twists with inexpensive all season tires and acceleration was noticeably quicker. The nittos rubbed a bit at full lock in both directions, but that didn't bother me. The car NEVER had any understeer. Turn in was spot on. As the rears wore, or on cold days, I would get oversteer. I removed the rear sway bar and it cleaned this up very nicely.
Last year I switched to Hoosier A7 245/35/18 and 275/35/18. The rears are pretty much the same dimensions as the Nittos. The fronts are waaaay off. They are at least an inch wider, if not more. the tire is cantilevered on the rim and really should be on an 8.5 or 9". They react to both temp and tire pressure very differently, and I chased a horrible understeer problem all year. I couldn't get the rears to brake free no matter how hard I tried. It was a rough year.
I'm on coilovers, so I can't comment on how the diameter affects rub on the spring perch.