View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
rick3000
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
I didn't flush with water when I changed from the green to pink stuff, I just refilled the system with new coolant and called it a day.
The big hoses under the tunnel were disconnected at the engine and the drain plug removed. I then raised the front of the car to drain the rads and lines and got out 19 of the about 20 litres of old coolant in the car and used a Uview to fill again with the pink stuff.
I guess this means I'm going to Porsche maintenance hell, right?
Not necessarily, haha

The point is to not mix different types/brands of coolant, because mixed coolant tends to gel and cause all kinds of problems. I realized over the summer going back through my service receipts, that a mechanic I visited when I first got my 986 topped it up with non-OEM coolant (I didn't know any better at the time). Cue several years of mysterious coolant related minor issues, even after flushing the system. Of course, I am just speculating.

That said, if you are going from Porsche green to Porsche pink, there may not be that kind of reaction. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about green and pink coolant can chime in, but I doubt Porsche would make the switch and recommend green be replaced by pink if it would case any issues.