View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 08:20 PM   #125
jakeru

The paint shots look great, Woody! What kind of paint are you using? 2 part or 1 part? Base+clear or just single stage?

The wheels look so glossy, I can't tell if you snapped it before the wet paint coat flashed dry, or if it really dried that glossy. Either way, looks great and very little orange peel from what I can tell.

I had some painting projects to do here recently out of rattle cans with my jam-packed one car garage, and I had to wait until the rain stopped and humidity wasn't "breath fog" bad, take part outside, spray, return to indoors small heated garage to cure (setup with a small electric heater and two 500 watt quartz IR heater lights), repeat next part and next coat, etc. did a bunch of interior parts in soft touch black this way, probably had to redo about half of them for various reasons. Once piece seems to have these arc-shaped crack blemishes no matter how many times I redo it. (Those reappearing blemishes are really starting to bug me, and I'm not going to reinstall the part with them!)

Another piece I refinished was an aluminum-look shift knob insert. Had some issues with the metallic base coat (I think was quick drying lacquer) being messed up some by the clear coat. Redid it and it seemed to turn out a bit better the next time, still not perfect but good enough, although the clear I used was matte, so want to to polish it a bit more as its not perfectly glossy yet. Hope I don't burn through, though, because I already did that on a previous attempt.

It's all in good fun, but using a wadded up tape ball as a shift knob is getting a bit old.

Last edited by jakeru; 02-22-2016 at 08:24 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote