View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #6
alynch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
just a hint : use the correct clamps(Pelican) and use an effective tool to secure/tighten them.If the clamps slip off while driving and you don't notice the grease on the exhaust/the mess ......
Oetiker ear clamps
http://www.amazon.com/Oetiker-14100083-Side-Jaw-formerly-Plastic-Coated/dp/B0037QFNJM
Thanks for the hint. I have my four OEM axle boot kits, special clamp pliers, Swepco CV joint grease, and a couple of extra clamps just in case. I had to replace the CV axle on my DD a couple of months ago. It was a torn boot and the grease was everywhere. It is FWD and of course it had to be the CV axle at the accessory end of the engine so the grease was all over the power steering pump, alternator, and AC compressor.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to work on the Boxster. This is my first serious maintenance job on the car. Everything was simple to disassemble and most of the fasteners were readily accessible. When TheRadiumKing suggested disconnecting the mid-pipe I sort of groaned and had flashbacks of broken exhaust studs and rounded exhaust bolts. But it all went without a hitch after a liberal application of PB Blaster.

I don't know maybe it was just that I was more relaxed knowing this isn't my daily driver and I didn't have to make sure everything was finished before Monday morning. Or maybe those engineers in Germany really did their homework? Or maybe it's a combination of both?

Last edited by alynch; 02-21-2016 at 03:22 PM.
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote