View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
tomonomics

Garage
Forza 6 / Sim Racing / Lime Rock / Porsche

So, I (finally) upgraded to an XBOX ONE compatible wheel and have been playing Forza Motorsport 6. While I'm not thrilled with the force feedback or sound (Forza 4 was better IMO), the realism and graphics are pretty damn good. I also added some stereo transducers to my seat/racing frame which really adds to the experience.

The game did not come with any Porsche cars, due to a Porsche licensing issue with a Forza competitor. (An add-on pack $$$ was added for Horizon 2, which was really cool. But Horizon is more of an arcade game, whereas Forza is more of a simulator game.) But the good news is that it appears a similar Porsche pack is coming soon for Forza 6!!! March 1 is hopefully the date. The list of cars isn't set yet, but I am hoping at a minimum it will have the new Boxster GTS or Spyder. I'm also hoping for an older 986, but it's rumored to be ~20 cars so I'm not banking on it. Forza 3 was the last to have a 986.

Anyway, one of the cool new tracks in FM6 is Lime Rock Park, which I love. I've never been on the actual track, but I am signed up for a DE event in April, so I'm pretty excited to be able to 'practice' in the meantime. In Forza I've been driving an MR2 as well as my new favorite car, the Ferrari Dino 246 GT. Mid-engine, 6-cyl, 195 HP and ~2300 pounds. While there are some supercars in this game, I cannot get enough of the Dino for somewhat obvious reasons.

So, I cannot wait for the Porsche pack to arrive in the next few weeks, which will only suck up more time that I don't have. But it's really enjoyable, especially when it's freezing out, and/or bad weather for driving a real car. Oh, and I can have a few single malts at night and not worry about any damage I do to the Ferrari F40 or a vintage Lotus!

(For those interested, I have a Fanatec wheelbase with P1 Xbox One wheel, Clubsport V2 pedals and CS shifter, and a GTR metal racing frame with my own sport seat. My DIY wood frame is in the garage now. I'm also happy to see that Assetto Corsa is coming to XBOX in April. That is a great sim on PC, hopefully it translates well to console. But again, no Porsche...maybe just some Ruf.)
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote