View Single Post
Old 02-17-2016, 07:49 AM   #2
Racer Boy
Racer Boy

I've not seen that pattern used before. You want to match the axles with the same tires, that way you won't have uneven traction side-to-side. You mentioned that as far as braking, and you are right to wonder about that. ABS corrects lock-up, but can't compensate for uneven traction. You want to avoid having to rely on ABS in the first place.

Another thing to consider is that as the tires wear, the diameter gets smaller. If you mount the new tires on one side of the car, then the differential will have to work all the time because the tires aren't the same circumference. It's not a large difference, but it's something to avoid.

IMHO, it's seems like a bad idea to run new tires on one side of the car. If it were me, I'd put the new ones on the same axle. It seems kind of lazy to not switch the tires around to keep the wear as even as possible. Most people that are really into track stuff probably have a racing-style jack and either an air- or electric-impact wrench, so it's no big deal to change tires easily. The fact that the tires sizes are different between the front and rear complicates things a little bit, but you should still be able to maximize the tire life by switching them around.

It must be nice to be able to afford to throw tires away halfway through their life!

Last edited by Racer Boy; 02-17-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote