View Single Post
Old 02-13-2016, 04:53 AM   #1
derfo

Cool What can I do about a cracked plastic window?

It was real cold this particular morning. On the way out to the car I was talking to my wife about something. We were still talking when I pressed the button to drop the hood on the car, still talking away I released the button to chop the window outside. That's when it happened, crack, O no, never mind another project. I didn't blame anyone other than myself for this it was just an accident.
So right I need a fix for now, you guest it, good old gaffer tape. This gave me a couple of months till the old boy was off the road for the winter.
Then it was time to think what to do about a permanent fix. A second hand top was an option, perhaps a glass window one. I thought about it and decided, my top was in very good condition I will get a new plastic window sown in. Wait a minute I could try and do that myself, like most things. Have a look below at the photos to see how I got on.

This is what you need for the job, double sided waterproof glue seal tape.

Making a paper template from the cracked window.

Ready to cut out the new one. I went for 1.5mm plastic, 1.00 is too thin.

Yes the hood took centre stage in our lounge for 2 weeks. It kept it nice and warm.

I used an awl as you can see with some good rot and sun proof thread, which was quite thick. You can see how the tape is sown in as you go as well.

Cushions underneath came in handy as well.

All done.

Its ready to go on the car.

I am quite pleased with the result, never done this before.

It don't leak, I'm pleased. I have lots more photos but can only put 10 on.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote