Thread: Saving Brembo
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
derfo

Cool Saving Brembo

I cant sleep so thought I would post this for you guys who are hands on.
When I bought the car Boxster S 2002 5 years ago, I decided a full service would be a good idea. I started with the brakes because I wasn't too impressed with the stopping power (I love late braking). When I tried to bleed them a number of the bleed screws would no way turn. They were locked in solid. The signs were this job was going to be bigger than a brake bleed.
I decided to ride out the few months coming up to winter, as I would be taking the old boy off the road then for the 6 month lay up.
After I lay-ed the car up I started the brake job, I looked at the discs (rotors) and decided they needed replacing. So I started stripping everything off at all 4 corners.
When I got the calipers on the bench all became clear. Have a look at the photos

This was what I found the steel bleed screw was fused to the Ali body of the caliper. This was the case with two of them on the fronts.

After weighing my options I decided the best and most cost affective way was to try and find inserts. As you can see in this photo I drilled them out.

Then I taped them out ready for the inserts. By the way the inserts are stainless steel.

Decided on a repaint as well.

Just testing fit before paint.

New seals as well, a complete referb.

Looking good.

I should be able to bleed the brakes after this job.

They are back on. You will notice I had to renew the short length of brake pipe as well. Its a very corrosive place the UK, especially winter time. No winter driving in this car from now on.

Last edited by derfo; 02-12-2016 at 08:31 PM.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote