View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #14
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako1985 View Post
Looks to be well below kbb and nada values. Or are those useless for 986s
The KBB and NADA is still useful as a baseline, but the value of these cars ranges pretty broadly. Local economics, season, and supply can play a big role. They are all over 10 years old and cars of an identical description can be very different when you examine them closely. I think that the dealer is fair asking 8 and with the warranty, you are doing fine at 6,5. Of course, the lower you can get it the better.

IMHO 70K to 100K miles on a 98 is probably going to be a better car than one with ~35k miles if it was maintained. Sitting for long periods can be harder on a car than being driven regularly. Especially these.

Just make sure that you keep in mind that this is a sports car and a Porsche. Like everyone has been saying, it will need maintenance over time even if it is good for the 60 days out of the dealer. Parts can be expensive and your average 'Import Mechanic' may do more harm than good. Expect a few micro-switches in the doors or for the top to fail. Expect a few bushings and suspension parts to start to rattle. Keep ahead on the serious things like the water pump and AOS. It could be a great driver for another 10+ years.