View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 06:30 AM   #43
seventythree

Need help with the same problem

Hi guys,
I'm having the same exact symptoms as Jager with my 02 Bosxter base with 96,000Kmiles.
I have been getting a CEL every now and then for the past year, which I reset using my Durametric.
Problem is I'm due for smog inspection (California) and my renewal indicates that I must take the car to a STAR station. (those who live in CA know what that means.)
So, I reset the last CEL and took the car in. 15 minutes later the tech came to the waiting area and informed me that the OBD indicated that the car wasn't in "Ready" state to be tested. He asked if I had any repairs done, or had the battery disconnected? I said no! I was told to drive the car for approximately 80 miles and take it back for another try.
After 90 miles of driving, I checked the Ready Status and only "Catalytic Convertor Efficiency" was still in Fail state.
After some research on the web, I came across a statement which said, in CA, on 2000 and later cars, with one out of 5 readiness monitors off, the station can proceed with testing the vehicle.
So I go beck to the smog station and they refused to test the car because of the one readiness monitor being in fail mode.
Since, I have driven the car for another 120 miles and the cat readiness monitor doesn't want to go into pass mode. BTW, no CEL either.
Based on the above, I have two key questions:
1) Will a failing cat prevent the respective readiness monitor from resetting?
2) Is it true that I should be able to get the car smogged with 1 of 5 monitors in fail sate?

As always, I would greatly appreciate any and all input.

TIA
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote