View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 08:23 AM   #35
XLR8URLYF

Garage
Smile

I have wanted a white 80s era 911 Targa for over 30 years but they're out of my price range. I was flicking through tv channels 2 years ago and came across a Mecum Auction. For giggles I searched their auctions for Porsches and was amazed by the Boxster's affordable prices. "I can drive a Porsche for that price?!?!"

Since then, I've been casually considering getting one. The past few months that casual interest has become a daily obsession, and I've been researching prices, reading buyer's guides, learning the possible pitfalls, and compiling a list of questions. I've wavered between Base and S models, dealer or private seller, Mecum bid & ship without seeing the car, is Ebay really safe, and a dozen other factors. I've played mind games between "do I really need this car/toy" to "Life is short." I've survived cancer, and recently got some money from my dad's estate, and I'm ready to do this.

I'm currently eyeing a privately owned (I don't trust most of these dealers) '02 S with 50K carefully driven miles, Porsche serviced, garaged, etc. Just waiting to set up a test drive (and I plan to get it checked out by a certified mechanic), and crossing my fingers that the dream comes true soon.

Thanks to all of you for posting your thoughts. It appears that no one regretted the decision and you're all having fun driving these.
XLR8URLYF is offline   Reply With Quote