View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #16
papasmurf

Fell in love with it the moment I saw it in MT magazine

when it debuted at the car show. I was probably around 13 at the time. I liked porsche to some extent before then but that really put me over the top and I fell equally hard for the 993 a few years afterward. I still have the original production version photo that the dealership was handing out to those pre-ordering prior to launch. The concept car I still think is one of the best looking cars ever produced. I am a z car fan as well and had a few 300zx's (z31 and z32) before the boxster as I tend to hold onto cars for a long time. I was remembering about my dad's MG midget that he had when I was in high school and how much I missed the roadster experience when I checked 986 prices and found they were well within my price range. I shopped for a couple of weeks and had my dad check out a car about 30 minutes from where he was working during the week. He took some photos of the car and I remember being frustrated that about half of them were corrupted files and trying to decipher the options on the car from the pictures that were good. It was 26 degrees the day he drove it and he was not a fan ("rides like a covered wagon and is way too small"....he now owns a Z3...LOL). I conversed with the owner a few times before he fell ill and went to the hospital. He never recovered and unfortunately passed away before I ever got to see the car. I was really saddened as he was a porsche guy and I really wanted to pick his brain and chat with him. I went to see the car and bought it from his widow a few weeks later as she really needed to sell the car and had my dad drive it back a week or two later once the bank lien was cleared. I remember my dad commenting about how something kept coming up on the back of the car....I told him the spoiler only comes up at higher speeds and he was now guilty of giving my new car a workout.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote