View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 12:42 AM   #24
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
A drain plug has no reason to be super tight, it is not a fastener; it only needs enough pre- load to crush the sealing washer and stay in place. The last poster stating that just beyond finger tight is ok, is something I agree with. This is why the MCD sensor torque is 19#.
Jake – if the problem is indeed ‘over-torqueing’ then read-on.

Most of the ‘vital’ hex found of prototype racing equipment are not standard DIN nor ANSI/ISO, or JIS! This is to prevent over-torqueing by trackside crew while under (human)stress.

E.g. if a 14mm hex head bolt needs a lightweight 19#, we would machine it at 13.35mm. It will simply spin-off at 19.5# without damaging the hex head and that while using a standard metric socket or wrench size (i.e if a specific torque wrench is nowhere to be found urgently, which happen a lot in the pits unfortunately).

Might worth implementing old tricks like that in your product line, still used as off today and heard F1 crews uses similar techniques. I have an old chart here that I’ve kept off from eng dept at the time, let me know what size hex you are using vs its torque spec and I’ll revert back with the correct non-standard hex size that needs to be machined. Unfortunately I cannot send out the full chart and I’m sure you understand why.

ps: there is no such thing as finger-tight in the industry. Misleading and needs clarification quick before someone think its how its done. Ppl do actually listen and trust you mate, careful

Keep up the good work

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-26-2016 at 01:19 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote