View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #6
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
+1 on the PPI

Overall there is nothing listed that is abnormal for a 2000 Boxster starting to fall behind on regular maintenance.

Quote:
11/17/2010 NOTE: ENGINE LEAKING OIL FROM VALVE COVERS,SPARK PLUG TUBE SEALS EST
12/11/2015 NOTE: OIL LEAK HAS WORSENED. NEED TO REPLACE VALVE COVER GASKETS AND TUBE SEALS. EST. 998.00 .
The spark plug tube seals are pretty common and a regular maintenance issue. Something to take care of soon, but not a deal killer at all. Valve cover gaskets are a lot less common failure. I expect the dealer added that on and it may not be leaking (Check with PPI).

Quote:
ALSO POSSIBLE REAR MAIN SEAL LEAKING EST 678.00.
This needs to be verified (PPI) and fixed if it is leaking. It involves removing the transmission and is a great opportunity to get the IMS bearing done if the RMS needs to be replaced.

Quote:
ENGINE LIGHT IS COMING ON DUE TO BAD O2 SENSORS EST 519..00
$757 (PARTS & LABOR).
No big deal, could be replaced cheaper.

Quote:
WATER PUMP IS SEEPING. NEED TO REPLACE WATER PUMP AND
THERMOSTAT. EST. $601 (PARTS & LABOR).
A regular maintenance item, but should have been replaced before it got to leaking. A pump failure would be a big problem.

Quote:
AXLE BOOTS BLOWN. NEED TO REPLACE. EST. $466 (PARTS & LABOR).
Not uncommon, needs to be fixed. CV shaft bearing could be compromised if it went too long.

Quote:
12/11/2015 NOTE: RIGHT SIDE TIRES ARE VERY WORN. EST. $404 (PARTS & LABOR).
Not uncommon, but may indicate worn out suspension parts $$$ (PPI).

Quote:
06/08/2016 Perform Lube, Oil & Filter Exchange on 6/8/2016 or 64700 Miles.
'The 986 Forum' generally recommends an oil change every 6 months or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first. Do not ask "What is the best oil." ...search.