Thread: The unlucky 1%
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #37
flaps10

Some potentially loaded questions there Arthro (you can start a fist fight in most forums with an oil analysis discussion). I'll only focus on reliability studies in this response.

I'm not usually the first to stick up for Mr Raby but I respect his work. If anyone has gone out and built engines and blown them up (at his own expense) and documented the results it has been him. That information is justifiably proprietary, but his most notable result is the plain bearing "Solution".

The thing that makes it risky for a company like his is that if some geek like myself can get hold of the parts and install them then a whole lot of unknown variables enter the picture (initial condition of the engine, quality of the install, etc). The Solution won't resurrect a zombie, but people seem to want to try.

People want to compare the warranty of the various options and are somehow surprised that the warranty on a sub $1000 kit wouldn't cover your smoking boat anchor engine with a rod sticking out the side, because surely there could be no other reasons for a subsequent engine failure.

Had it been available for dual row cars at the time I had my engine apart I would certainly have selected it. As it stands, it's not hard to improve on the factory selection.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote