View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 05:42 AM   #106
rfuerst911sc

I'm sitting here at the computer, it's raining cats and dogs and I'm pissed off that my car is not done yet ! But the reason for being pissed off is directed squarely at myself !!! Lets backtrack........engine is done and in the car. Aprox. a year ago when Jake and I talked about this project Jake and I went over a checklist of parts that would be needed. Being a friend Jake offered to allow me to shop for some parts to try and save myself some money. Seeing that he stands behind his engines he did not have to do this. One of the items I agreed to purchase was a GT3 throttle body. I searched around and came across one on Fleabay. I sent the link to Jake to make sure it was the correct part number and he agreed it was. Now this throttle body was advertised as " slightly used " but fully functional. I bought it. Now roll the clock forward one year and Jakes goes to fire up the engine. She fires right off as expected but no throttle response . Jake spent a few days diagnosing the problem and unfortunately found the issue.........the throttle body I had purchased was DEFECTIVE with an internal short or miswire ! As soon as the key was turned 5 volts backfed into the ECU and killed the driver for the drive by wire throttle body !!!!! So my seemingly " good buy " bit me hard ! Jake swapped throttle bodies ( twice ) and eventually installed a manual throttle body to prove out the failure. So yesterday my ECU was in the mail to a ECU guru to be repaired. Despite the setback Jake was able to keep the car running and even sent me a 7 second video of two throttle blips ( done manually ) and she sounds soooooooo sweet and mean Engine passed all mechanical tests with zero issues......no leaks......no noises other than that sweet exhaust note. So we're at least 3 weeks away as the ECU repair shop currently has a 2 week backlog. But we are very........very close !
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .

Last edited by rfuerst911sc; 01-15-2016 at 06:34 AM.
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote