Thread: swirl pots
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #11
jaykay

TRK if you have things open and sitting in front of you, you can have a look at what configuration would give the shortest return path to the pick up location under different sump conditions. Then there is deairation. With a windage tray in place, my eye and horse sense tell me the old style pots and extenders are the ticket. This will deliver oil more directly to the pick-up directly below the tray.

Yeah I was grasping for straws back then thinking about rear vs mid centrifugal effects. I think the 987 type returns were a band aid attempt to deal with larger displacement mid engine heat related engine failures coming from increased Cayman track time. From what I can see, I believe this design was definitely configured for no windage tray in place ( stock ).

If you have a look at GT4 front fender liners....they are cut wide open with only chicken wire mesh to protect the back of the rads. IIRC an portion of each side intake goes to engine cooling air flow. I believe the sump plate now has ribs for better heat transfer Measures to increase cooling for the larger 3.8 tucked in amidships rather than out over the rear axle.

Of course these are all armchair suppositions

...stay warm up there,

J

Edit: I have trolled around a bit.....it seems there are a multitude of Cayman guys that retro-fitted the the 996 pots. One would have to dig deeper to garner their experiences and results.

Last edited by jaykay; 01-10-2016 at 10:22 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote