View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #14
BoxsterLS376

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc993 View Post
Not a big fan of yellow, but thanks for the info. Looking for color in this order: Silver (polar/arctic), Guards Red, Midnight Blue or Black. Clean interior is very important and I am picky as hell.

The following Base was real nice and sold at $2500. Only 30K w / blown engine 5sp. interior/exterior was mint. Could get a lot of parts with extra $4k like radiators trans
etc.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-sale-wanted/59838-98-boxster-blown-motor-only-30k-miles.html
Righty-O. Ok i'll give it to you the color and condition are not top notch but that was one example that took me 30 seconds to find. I know a nice S was for sale on here with a bad motor a few months back for $4K.

I think you are missing one glaring point there though... One, the S, has a good running motor, which at the very least I'm certain you could sell quickly for $3000 give or take. The other has a bad motor which is the equivalent of a boat anchor worth $0.

So now you are down to an extra $1000 to get your goodies plus you have to swap everything.

We could probably go back and forth about this on many examples. At the end of the day you are going to do what you want to do, all I can do is offer my $.02.

The way I see it is this, if you are planning on doing the conversion ESPECIALLY on a budget, it is a no-brainer to start with an S. Why? Because all of the things we are talking about are standard issue on the S model, so if you wanted to you could simply put a V8 into the S and the suspension, brakes, cooling system etc. are ALL sufficient enough to handle the additional power, in my case just barely, but they are sufficient. Get a base model and drop a 400+ HP V8 into it without those upgrades and the car will be DANGEROUS. Can you spend the extra money and upgrade those things on the non-S model, sure, but everything costs money. I'm upgrading brakes and suspension right now and it is costing me $3K~
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote