View Single Post
Old 01-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #9
newBgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude Guy View Post
Awesome write-up!

I am an audiophile as well. I have always enjoyed creating SQ setups in my car. Before the Internet, I used to build the best system I could with popular name-brand products. Now that the Internet has allowed us to research lesser-known brands that are higher-end, the experience is even better.

I just recently built a system in my 1997 Accord wagon. It was some-what of a budget-build but I was looking to try new products. Given the low front speaker location in the front doors, it was hard to get a good-sounding speaker. I was introduced to Focal so I tried them. They are coaxial speakers. I was still blown away by them!

Ill definitely check out Hertz!

Do you think a custom box for a small sub like a Kicker 40CWRT672 or JL Audio 6W3v3-4 could work in the passenger side footwell under the "glove box"?

I wish I could hear your setup.

Keep the updates coming!!
I wouldn't really consider myself an Audiophile. Maybe an audio enthusiast of perhaps audio realist? I'd take solid state over tube any day and I believe a skilled producer will do far more for sound quality than whether it was recorded in 16 or 24 bit. In other words, let your ears be the judge.

While it is amazing how a clean bottom octave can transform a car audio system, I don't think you can get there with a compact sub without serious intrusion. In the words of Scotty, "I can't change the laws of physics!" In order to get clean, deep bass, you really need to be able to move a lot of air, which means a lot of area, a stiff cone, a very long throw, and a big strong magnet and voice coil for precise cone control. I would say that even 1" of lost leg room would be too much of a compromise, since we buy these cars for driving pleasure above all else, and the leg room is tight as it is.

That said, the bass from the stock sub enclosures is pretty darn good, clean and well controlled, and that's either from the stock subs (note that I had the enhanced audio with the larger sub enclosures) or the upgraded components woofer that I replaced it with. It's not a boom car by any means, and I personally am not interested in boom cars, and this from a guy who used to have a 15" sub with a 20 lb magnet in the hatch!
newBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote