View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
MNBoxster

Hi,

This has been discussed before. A proper Plug Repair entails not only inserting the Plug, but also adding a Patch on the inside covering the Plug. Also, only Punctures in the Tread area should be repaired, if the Sidewall is punctured, replace the Tire. See: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/TireSafety/ridesonit/brochure.html

Also, there is some disagreement on repairing a Performance Tire, especially if the Car is driven spiritedly. A repaired Tire will likely let go at High Speed where the Pressure, Heat and Stress are greatest, or in a Panic Stop, two situations where you don't want Tire Failure.

Whether the repair will hold or not is possible but not guaranteed and is debatable, but the one thing which isn't is that the Tire has been compromised. My personal choice would be to replace the Tire, or to refrain from getting my foot in it until I did - Safety First!

An interesting aside, for the 986, Porsche advises against removing the Spare Tire stating that it plays an integral role in the Front Crumple Zone. On the 987, has Porsche significantly strengthened this area or has Occupant Safety been lowered on the Priority Scale to provide greater storage capacity? ...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 06-02-2006 at 07:50 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote