View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Dlirium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Welcome to the forum. It can be fun to do the Wheeler Dealer imitation. I dabble in that mode during the winter months when I can't golf.

There's one minor problem with your Porsche plan. While values of early Boxsters have dropped into the sub-$10 range and around $3-4K for a roller, prices on parts have not dropped. High market Euro car makers charge a fortune for their parts, as much as 4x the cost of Japanese equivalent parts. You can run up a pretty big bill replacing bushings, control arms, struts, etc. And an engine from a place named Raby starts at $10K and goes up depending on what you want from the engine. Let me say a Raby engine is worth it if you need a replacement, but it's not inexpensive. You can quickly end up investing $15-20K all in. You won't be able to sell one for that because someone else has one for 1/2 that price and a potential customer won't understand how perfect yours is compared to the beater.

Early Boxsters are ending up being salvaged with very little damage because the price of new parts to fix them is more than they're worth. People are starting to buy them and fix them with used parts and staying above water but you have to be careful of hidden damage. There will be more and more lightly damaged cars on the mkt because of the cost to repair.

Good luck with your plans.
Plus, when a new engine costs 2x the value of the car, it's easy to get upside down on these very quickly...

We all go to bed praying that our IMSB will stay together for one more day :-)
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote