View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #16
arthrodriver

I have wrestled with 220 a little accross the years. The idea of using a dryer outlet is ok, but chances are that it will be incovenient to share. Once I had a house with a natural fired gas clothes dryer. After studying the breaker box I realized that I could disconnect the unused electric wiring to the laundry room at the box and simply connect a new 3 wire 220 circuit to my desired compressor location which was just above the breaker box in the garage.

To install the 220 line from the breaker box there must be space in the box to put in a properly sized breaker switch (current). I have also run into problems buying a breaker switch appproved for an older metal box. A good electric supply house may help here as there are listings of substitute breaker switches (brands).

The idea of any kind of 220V extension cord is strongly disapproved by all.

Once the proper breaker is in the wiring must be run through conduit to the desired plug point. The materials are not so expensive, but add up. You can study
how to bend (solid conduit) or use flex, and route yourself. It will save on electrician labor.

As always ,if you are unsure about working around electrical lines, don't. I think you'll spend a couple hundred for the installation, plus parts. One more thing . Stay with local code. Do not install the wall connection below the allowed height. Hope this helps.
arthrodriver is offline   Reply With Quote