View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #12
Perfectlap

oh yeah and....

1-don't shuffle the wheel. Big rookie error.
Keep your hands and fingers in that little indent in the 9 and 3 o'clock postion on the 3 spoke wheel. Get used to the hand over hand position where your thumbs touch your opposite arm's elbow when turning. On a very long turn, hairpin,etc. release the wheel with your bottom hand to free up more movement from 12 o'clock dead center. Look at all the quick drivers, their hands stay put on the wheel, no shuffling. Like their thumb and index finger were glued to the wheel.

(p.s. I think Porsche did an EXCELLENT job on the 3 spoke design of this wheel)
The Alcantara version must be even better, Thicker in diameter.

2-Also, keep your back straight. DONT drop/lean your shoulders when the car is turning, you should be steering with your shoulders not your writsts. This was a lesson taught by a famous karting dude Mike Wilson.

3- tilt your head in the direction you are going as soon as you exit a corner. This is a huge subconscious aid. You tilt your head to the left before a left hand turn and you'll find your hand's start to set up the turn instinctively. Once the instinct takes over your head tilting will allow your eyes to start mapping the course well ahead of where you are. This applies in other sports too like mountain biking and on fast descents in road cycling.

4-LAY INTO THE BRAKE. I mean get use to really stomping it. You'll learn where 'the limit' is before a turn. The more I drive these Porsche brakes the more I realize how WAY too conservative I was being. Later you'll get a feeling for braking points and the amount of time you should be on the brake before you jump back on throttle. Stretching out the braking start and end point is the area where you will lose most of your time. A really fast driver is on and off of the brakes in as little time as possible. A second longer than necessary on the brakes (a blink of an eye really!) before a corner entry for each turn and over a lap your down 4 seconds.
Learning to brake agresively will give you tremendous confidence which can save your neck like it saved mine on a couple of occasions in real world driving. An extra 2 seconds of reaction time can prevent 50+% of most motor vehicle accidents. With this car you have those 2 second to avoid touching another car. That Paicifica loaner I was driving yesterday...different story.

tip:
in the warm months during Autocross/track even for every day driving I use Batting gloves, I like the Under Armor ones with spandex. They are cheap $25 and have great grip and keep sweat off the wheel (sweat is really bad for that expensive leather). Girls make fun of me but what do they know they drive with one hand and keep their the other ontop of the shifter

p.s.
EVO is a bargain! Yeah allot fo money for Autocross but for $400? you'll learn everything that those $4,000 skip barber schools will teach you and still won't sink in. No one learns in one day. Autocross is the best bang for the buck by a mile. For $-50 you can get an instructor to ride with you on every lap and give you all of his feedback. Just make sure the instructor is quick.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-01-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote