View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
derfo

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alankitchener View Post
Hi, just joined this site .
I would like to give up my harley and get a boxter. The problem i have is that i look into things too much, and it appears that a boxter before 2009 could be a time bomb in the engine department waiting to go off with regards to IMS. and Bore issues.
i would like some advice on choosing the most risk free years of production of the boxter, for a budget of less than 14K.
I know the 2006 model has an internal ims bearing that cant be upgraded, and the dual bearings of the earlier boxters are better than the single row bearings of later models, but i like them all , especially 2004 onwards with bigger side vents and small headlights.
Ideally i think i need one that has had the IMS upgraded, ANY FOR SALE ?

HELP!!! many thanks alan
Hello Alan
You have chosen a very good site to join, welcome. I'm in the UK as well and look at this site every day.
When I started looking for a sports car, I had 4 different makes in mind BMW Z3, Nissan Z350, Merc SLK and Porsche Boxster. I chose the Boxster, I did in depth research knowing full well about the IMS and other weaknesses. This is a mid engined sports car in the end.
I am hands on, so was not to concerned about doing work on the car when needed. I have posted a couple of things I have done on here and on the Pelican site. They are quite easy to work on as regards servicing etc.
My car is a 2002 Boxster S with 78,000 miles on it when I bought it 5 years ago, its a single row IMS bearing I think. Its got 93,500 miles on it to date. It is my daily driver but for just 6 months of the year. I cant remember ever thinking about the IMS while driving. It goes to the red line every day many times over the 6 month period, these engines just love revs.
Every year before I lay it up for the winter I change the oil, so it has nice fresh oil to bathe in over winter. I never start it again until its time to hit the road 6 months later. The battery tender is put on as well.
Some people cannot help but worry about things that can go wrong with cars. I certainly wouldnt buy one of these in this year range if I was like that, but I am not. I made a considered choice and up to now its been very good indeed. I cant wait for next summer.
Original IMS, no problems up to now only general maintenance.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote