View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #2
flouese

If you are not familiar or comfortable with firearms, take a class. In Florida, unless you are active duty or retired military and you desire to carry concealed, you must take a class. The class teaches the four firearm safety rules and you spend time on the range where you can handle a variety of weapons from revolvers to semi-automatics.

Revolvers are bulky (IMO) for concealed carry, but they are point and shoot, no need to chamber a round. Semi-automatic have a smaller profile and are easy to conceal. A .22 if put in the right location will stop a bad guy just as a 9mm or .357. If you miss w/a .22, you better be able to out run them.

Most semi-automatics have a 10 round magazine (not a clip). If you can't get the job done in 10 rounds, again, you better be a fast runner.

Unfortunately, the only place I don't carry is at work. For some silly reason, you're prohibited from carrying on a military base. Hopefully a change will come around, especially after the results of Ft. Hood.

My preference is a compact Kel-Tec 9mm; light, no safety, but a long trigger pull which acts as the safety and ammo is readily available. If I'm going to a movie, I carry a Walther .22. Fits comfortably in my pocket where I can draw it from a seated position if necessary.

Lastly, best advise, train, train, train. If you can't shoot, have a good throwing arm. You might get lucky and hit them between the eyes when you chuck the empthy weapon at them.