View Single Post
Old 12-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #45
Racer Boy
Racer Boy

I'm on several other forums, both motorcycle- and car-oriented. There is nothing like an oil thread (or chain-lube threads on the bike forums) to get people wound up.

As a newbie here, I'm relieved to see that Porsche owners are pretty much just like everyone else!

I do have something to contribute to the question of long-term storage of engines, though - I've read something by a noted aircraft mechanic who said that in every case he's seen where an engine (it is common for private aircraft to sit for long periods of time) sat for several months, then was disassembled before starting, the engines that had straight weight oils in them still had oil clinging to the working surfaces. The motors that had multiweight oils had no oil on the bearing surfaces. He theorized that something in the multiweight oils (likely the viscosity extenders) kept the oil from staying attached to the surfaces over time.

It's something to consider; if you are going to store your car for four or more months, and you aren't concerned about the cost of 9 quarts of oil, then you might fill it with straight weight oil, run it until it gets to operating temperature, then shut it down for the season. When it comes time to hit the road again, you can change the oil to the proper multi-viscosity stuff. (Probably heresy to say this, but you could probably even get away with not changing the filter if it was changed when the car was put away for the winter).
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote