View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 02:10 AM   #1
Retroman1969

Could my Boxster be bad for my health?

Last weekend I threw my back out. Badly.
I've been nearly bedridden for a week, had several days of therapy in the hospital, and now able to walk with the help of a cane. I hope to be back to normal in another week or two.
This is not new. I have mild scoliosis that the doctors never caught when I was younger until my first big back blowout at age 40. The scoliosis has caused excessive muscle strain in the lower back and when I overtax them by too much lifting and overextending, the strained muscles contract and irritate the sciatic nerve.
I'm changing many things about my daily life to help assure that it doesn't happen again. More ergonomic desk chair, taller desk, stretching excersizes every morning and aerobic excersizes four nights a week. Longer, hotter showers (steam is a great help), better mattress, and orthodic cusions in the car.

Speaking of the car..... Unfortunately it's a change I have to consider. I drive 3,500+ miles per month with my job and climb in and out of the car at least a dozen times a day. The Boxster is a bit of a strain to get into and out of, especially when your mobility is suddenly limited. Could it be contributing to my back strain?
The doctor seemed unusually optimistic about the car when asked. A good lumbar support and proper excersize, etc, should make the car okay.

Nonetheless, I've been looking at some larger sedans with bigger seats just out of curiosity. I could just start driving my Jeep every day but you have to climb up into it, the seats are crap with no support at all, and the ride beats the spine to death.
The problem is, the Boxster helps make work so much fun, and is often a conversation piece with clients. I hate to give that up, so I'm looking at affordable but somewhat exotic used sedans in the age range of the 986. I know maintenance will be an issue, but the 986 is no slouch when it comes to hitting you with maintenance costs, so I'm used to that.
Some things I've been looking at:

I'm not an SUV fan at all, but alternate choices:

Sorry for the long story, but I value your suggestions and opinions.
Honestly, I've been a Porsche fan since childhood and would like to keep things as they are, but I do have to take this into consideration under the circumstances.
Thank you for checking it out.