View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
dghii

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I'm curious how you converted it to manual and how you plan on using the latch mechanism? I'm wanting to convert mine to save weight and for simplicity too. I would love to get rid of the motor and both transmissions. I haven't given it a lot of thought on how to do that yet, but the loose clamshell was one concern I had. The latch idea sounds like a good idea to keep the clam from rattling.
To each his own but I guess I really don't understand the desire to convert a Boxster top to manual operation. I've always been impressed with the simplicity of the Boxster power top mechanism. Unlike competitors with electric/hydraulic systems, the Boxsters use of one small motor, a few micro switches, a controller and drive cables and transmissions.

My mechanism has not been perfect, I've replaced a broken rod end and two drive cables (only one was bad but did the other while I had it apart). I found the whole set up to be very easy to work on.
As for weight savings, I can't imagine all components together weighing more than 6 or 7 pounds (a big 1/2 horsepower gain).

Now the top on my wife's 350Z is a whole other story! Crazy crap happens when you hit that button. I have no idea how that thing works but I just hope it continues to do so!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote