View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 11:01 AM   #1
SalemBob

Dead Battery - Hood release lever

I have a 2000 Boxster S with a dead battery and the seemingly common problem of being unable to open the front hood to access the battery to charge or replace it. All that the manual says on this subject is: “When the battery is discharged, the levers can’t be unlocked. Please contact your Porsche dealer.” Two Porsche dealers (and numerous online sites) suggest the following solution. First, open the fuse box in the driver side footwell and pull out the red positive terminal that is located (in theory) in the fuse box. The positive terminal is described as “a red emergency prong.” Next, connect the positive terminal of a portable power source to the positive terminal in the fuse box and then ground the negative terminal to the door arrester. Sounds fine except for the fact that the 2000 Boxster S does not contain the referenced red emergency prong in the fuse box. There is nothing in the fuse box – other than fuses. There is no emergency positive terminal so there is nothing in the fuse box to attach the portable power source to. So, that solution does not seem to work. I can find a “male to male” outlet charger cord (see attached photo) that would permit me to attach a portable power source to the female outlet of the cigarette light on the dash box. Does anyone know if this would provide sufficient power to the battery to allow me to pull up the lever that is next to the driver’s seat and open the hood? Is there any chance that this might do harm to the electrical system? I would love to find some solution other than having the car towed to a dealer.
SalemBob is offline   Reply With Quote