View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #14
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
I'm glad to see more AX folks on here! My 2000 986 S is set up for SCCA F Prepared and PCA Improved 04 (that might be a bit off). Stock 3.2 internals, but otherwise very modded. A word to AX newcomers (vets know and understand): autocrossing is addictive, like crack cocaine. The lengths we'll go to for a win or to shave hundredths of a second are nuts

Here's an FTD run at one of this year's Shenandoah regional AX events:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loh1FPDcQ1k
This year has been the first year for me to use a video camera, and I've used it to help identify areas where I can make small improvements such improving car position on course.

This year I've also made the switch to Hoosier A7s (F 245 35 18/ R275 30 18) from Nitto NT01 tires (same specs, haha) and I've been chasing an understeer problem.
I'd love to see what alignment/ setup specs others are using. My car is 2630#; I add another 150ish.

With the Nittos, my specs were:
Front, zero toe, -3.2 camber, 32PSI, stock sway bar, KSport coilovers w/6K springs
Rear 3mm total toe, -3.2 camber, 34PSI, no sway bar, KSport w/ 8.7K

With the Hoosiers:
Front, zero toe, -3.4 camber, 34PSI, stock sway bar, KSport coilovers w/6K springs
Rear 3mm total toe, -3.2 camber, 36PSI, stock sway bar, KSport w/ 8.7K

Any thoughts on my setup or understeer issues??
Quick lap J.Fro

I am mostly a track guy but do AX a bit in SoCal. If you are running FTD maybe you should be giving the rest of us AX tips.

RE: setup and understeer, I am not sure what springs you are on as mine are rated in lbs. As you know, A7s generate a lot of lateral G so you need more stiff and roll control to make the most of them. I would also look at corner weights and F/R rake. Sometimes raising the rear 10mm moves static weight forward and creates more grip where you need it most in AX. Worth a look.

Keep banging the cones and making that 986 look good on the right coast!