View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
jakeru

I've enjoyed autocrossing since around the time when the Boxsters started being sold. On the autocross course, I remember watching someone in my region who purchased one of the first Boxster's (before the "S" was out) out on the course, the car was amazing to watch go it went through the turns. Later on, the "S" was out, and this same guy (an older fellow who owned a series of autocrossing Porsches - always yellow) had upgraded to one. (I think he also had a late-gen air cooled 911 Porsche at some point, and all his Porsches were yellow!). Kind of a funny story, but I remember watching him run his "S" right off the track on one of our wet weather days up here in the Pacific Northwest. The spot he ran off the track eventually also had many other cars with off-course excursions. (This is where a runway crossed over to an access road - funky site). I remember having conversations with him about his Boxster, like asking him if he wanted to upgrade his factory shocks, and him saying no the factory ones were good. (Which apparently he was right about). And then him waxing on about how awesome abs was, (but then I always suspected it was a contributing factor to him going off-course.) Hah!

Anyway, I ran a d-stock neon ACR back in the day, then a VW in FSP class. I've been to nationals three times and took home one trophy in the FSP. Kind of fell out of it when I had a kid, but have dreams of getting back into the game one of these days. Fast forward to today, I've got that Porsche my wife and I have always fantasized about, although it's a daily driver, not a dedicated race car. Still, we hope to get it out there are enjoy it on the autocross course sometime. Even though it will no longer be the "car to have" in stock class (or street class - whatever they're calling it nowadays?) with the recent SCCA rule changes.

Always loved the way the neutrally balanced Boxsters looked on the autocross course! I'm still working on some repairs and mods (SCCA-legal of course, like US-spec M030 suspension conversion) that make the Porsche handle and perform the way I expect a Porsche to. Not quite done yet, it's a work in process. Only had it for about a year so far and am getting a good baseline feel (although I have started the suspension mods already). It's just a base, not the "S", but it's mine and both wife and I think it's fun!

Autocrossing tips - a lot are to do with walking the course and developing mental techniques to navigate it at speed. Look ahead! Have fun! (Hard not to!)

Last edited by jakeru; 11-10-2015 at 06:49 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote