View Single Post
Old 05-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #12
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Good info. Of course, this thread was somehow previously hijacked from a question about the "boomerang", a part which supposedly protects the front spoiler chin from damage and cracking.

P.S. - I invented "sticky notes".
Hi,

Good Point! I think the Boomerang is useful, but as you pointed out, somewhat spendy.

I have some bad news for your self-proclaimed invention though...

Post-it Notes® were invented by Art Fry and Spencer Silver in 1974. More Fry than Silver. They were both acquaintances of my Dad, in fact, Art was one of the Pallbearers at my Dad's funeral.

Spencer developed an adhesive for 3M in '68 which didn't really work - it was too weak, so it was shelved. Art, a 3M Chemist, was also in the Choir at the St. Paul Cathedral. They had just purchased new Hymnals because the old ones were all torn up from marking the pages. Art wondered if there was a way to mark them without damaging the new ones.

Being a scientist, Art started thinking about the problem and came up with the idea of a marking tab which could stick to the paper, but be removable. He would need an adhesive strong enough to stick, but not so strong that it was permanent. 3M gave all their Lab people the freedom to devote 10% of their Lab time to basic research of their choosing, so Art went over to the Chem. Adhesive Div. and discussed it with Spencer who brought out his failed adhesive. They made up a batch and they worked. Art then went to the Marketing Dept. at 3M and pitched it as a useful, sellable, product but they rejected it.

Undaunted, on his own initiative, Art had a case of notepads made up and delivered to the Secretaries (Admin. Assts. in PCWorld) in the Marketing Dept. who started using them for everything. A month later, their supply ran out and they were clammering to get more, but their bosses had no idea what they were talking about.

Then they realized that this was the greatest Ofc. Supply since the eraser and could be a bonanza for 3M. They patented it and had sales of $44 million in Post-it Notes® the 1st year alone. Unfortunately for Art, as with most Corporations, 3M retained the Patent Rights. He got a nice Bonus and was named Corporate Scientist (highest position for a Chemist at 3M), but it was a pittance compared to the $ Millions in profit 3M made... and so it goes...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-26-2006 at 09:36 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote