View Single Post
Old 11-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #18
boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
No - one of the ceramic bearing's biggest attributes is that it requires only a small amount of lubrication (the individual balls are as hard as he knockers of hell) & certainly the oil mist caused by the rotating masses of timing chains, crankshaft, cams etc. is enough. Actually, too much oil can cause "skidding" of the balls in the race.
Don't overwork this - as JFP and Raby say, keep good quality, clean oil in your engine and you wont have to worry about bearing failure. Just make sure the person who installs the new assembly in Malta is experienced in the LN IMS installation procedures.....
Hehe,that is THE biggest problem I will have, because I asked many boxster owners around and none of them have had their Ims bearing replaced, some of them don't even know what an ims bearing is, (I think I envy them for that actually), so I cant ask anyone where they had it done. I told my mechanic about it, he never replaced any ims bearings,I showed him the pelican book that I bought and he said that if I get him the removal tool he shouldn't find problems replacing it. I asked a couple other mechanics and still none of them replaced any ims bearings. So I'm hoping that my mechanic will manage to do the job properly. Are there any issues with replacing if, are there any "dangers" of not fitting it correctly?
boxster is offline   Reply With Quote